Spend a day learning to fly fish and open up the door to a lifetime of angling adventures and memories. Upon completion of this full day, comprehensive school, you will be skilled and confident enough to pack up your fly fishing gear and head out to enjoy a trip on the water of your choosing. The elements of the sport we feel are essential for beginners and cover in the school are as follows:
· Equipment Knowledge and Selection
· Casting Techniques & Presentation
· Reading Water
· Wading Techniques
· Fishing Knots
· Fly & Leader Selection
· Fly Presentation
· Proper Fish Fighting Techniques
· Lots of time spent fishing!
The setting for our fly fishing schools is a sportsman club in Manchester, Indiana. The location is a short drive from Cincinnati, Ohio. The club is comprised of 1000 pristine acres of rolling hillsides housing 14 ponds and a man-made trout stream. The waters are home to largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, panfish, trout, carp, and catfish. In addition to the breathtaking scenery, a newly remodeled lodge with full amenities is at our disposal.
The fly fishing schools run from March-August. The cost of the school is $175 and includes all fly fishing equipment, a hearty lunch, and beverages. Accommodations at the lodge or nearby casino hotels are available, and we would be happy to make those arrangements for you. The schools are limited to 4 or 5 participants, ensuring a lot of personal attention.
2008 Introductory Fly Fishing School dates:
The following items are recommended items for the beginning flyfishing school:
· Flyrod and reel if you own one. If not, one is provided as part of the class.
· Sunglasses-Polarized sunglasses are strongly recommended as they help cut the glare on the water allowing you to “see through” the water.
· Hiking shoes or similar. Recommend against wearing open-toe shoes
· Bug Spray-usually not bad but you never can tell.
· Any personal medications
· Clothing recommendation is long pants (lightweight) and a short sleeve shirt (no bright colors)
· Rain gear if appropriate.
(If you have any questions regarding what to wear or bring, please do not hesitate to call and ask us. We will be more than happy to review the checklist with you.)
To reserve a slot for an upcoming school, please call us at 513-871-3474. If you cannot attend any of the available dates above, you can email or call us and we will place your name on a list and contact you if we open additional school dates. Private schools are also an option if the dates above do not fit your schedule.
For more information, feel free to contact the school instructor, Brian Barnard, at Brian@BestGear.com.
Brian Barnard is a Federation of Fly Fishers licensed instructor at Best Gear, an online supplier of field and stream apparel and Kentucky fly fishing and Ohio fly fishing experts.