5 minute Carp Bait
A lot of carp can be caught using simple Carp bait you can make at home. When making your bait you need to keep in mind first that your main ingredient is going to be what holds it all together, the base of your bait. In simple terms it can be bread, flour, etc. Below we’ve given you some ingredients for your base. If you ever made mud balls when you were a kid then just pretend you’re making one because that’s about how they should turn out. Too much liquid and it will be too soft, not enough and it will be too crumbly. Then there’s a secret ingredient, an attractant like Kool-aid and peanut butter seem to be very popular in many Carp bait formulas.
When making your own Carp bait, consider using one base, one liquid, and up to three attractants. The list below lists all the different ingredients found in winning carp bait formulas. The best approach is to take from each category.
Remember to write down every measurement for Carp Bait and the ingredients once you come up with a winner you’ll want to remember it.
Carp Bait Bases – This is the main thing that will hold the bait together.
1) Cereal. Popular cereals include sugar corn puffs, wheat flakes, and corn flakes.
2) Corn Meal – A great base. Actually the corn is a form of attractant.
3) Flour – the powder form or just regular bread. Muffin/biscuit mix
4) Instant mashed potatoes – This is found in dry form in a box.
Attractants – There are many to choose from.
1) Flavored gelatin powder, (like Jell-O) – popular flavors are cherry and strawberry.
2) Canned corn or canned cream corn – It seems that carp like corn or any corn products.
Frozen or fresh corn kernels – same as canned corn. Sometimes just using the kernels on the hook is all you need to catch the big one.
3) Sugar – Carp likes the sweet stuff.
4) Vanilla extract – smells good to humans. Carp must like the smell also.
5) Marshmallows – found in store bought bait, must be good. – can add a little buoyancy to the bait.
6). Peanut butter. Liquids – not many but essential to keeping all the ingredients together.
Carp Bait Liquids
1) Water. This is the most popular liquid.
2) Juices from canned corn.
3) Sodas – Strawberry or grape soda. Carp must have a sweet tooth.
Very popular Peanut Butter Carp Bait recipe!
How to put the carp bait mixture together
Ingredients needed. Plain old white bread, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
1. Remove the crust; this makes it better to make into a ball.
2. Cover the sides with a little peanut butter poke a hole in the middle of the ball and add a dab in the middle.
3. Add a drop or two of vanilla extract. IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH IT WILL BE MUSHY!
Now you’re ready to try it!
1. Get treble hooks, and put the hook in the center of the bread.
2. Smash your mixture onto the hook forming a ball. Make sure its stays. Smash it really hard.
3. Casting is a problem for some people. You have to cast, and hold the pole out. If you just cast normal the bread will shake and fall off.
4. Buy a stand of some kind, or make one, it’s easier than holding the pole, you’re going to leave the bait in the water a while. Leave the fishing pole out there.
Plan on leaving your line out there at least 1 hour. Relax, don’t reel in it or the bread may fall off on the way in. After 30 minutes nothing happens reel it in. The bread still on, or didn’t even get a bite try few more times. You may need to change your spot.
5. You need 50lb test line so you can pull the pig out of the weeds, and fight it. If you use any lower, your line will snap.